Thursday, June 05, 2014

Chetan Bhagat - 2 States

2 States: The Story of My Marriage2 States: The Story of My Marriage by Chetan Bhagat
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

I am not a huge fan of Chetan Bhagat. If I can help it, I do not read his books. I picked this one up as I had already seen the movie. This is odd in itself as I did not particularly like the movie.

Now, after having read the book, I lay the blame for the slightly lackluster movie at the door of the director. He underplayed the humor in the book, I see now. I also blame the dull looking Arjun Kapoor, he does not bring out the passion the hero feels for his girl.

The book, as most people know already,(as Chetan Bhagat is one of the most read authors of these times)is about a North-Indian Krish meeting a South-Indian Ananya at IIMA and falling headlong in love with. They find to their consternation that their parents do not see things their way. They are forced to make a serious effort to make their parents agree to their point of view.

Also thrown into the plot is a trouble-maker father that Krish has. On top of everything else, Krish has to sort out the issues he faces with his father.

Despite all these problems floating around, the book is not depressing or heavy. It is a light read and quite funny in places.

The language is passable. We have to admit that despite the widespread usage of English in our country, we are not experts at it.

View all my reviews

No comments: